It's been a busy, crazy weekend, as usual.
We took an unexpected trip to urgent care for Isaiah on Friday night. My sis-in-law had my kids all day (YAY!) and after he woke up from his nap, was just coughing constantly. She texted me, and was a little concerned, but I didn't think a whole lot of it. Until then he started wheezing and acting like he was having a hard time breathing. So Fri night, about 6, Jer and I went to go pick the kids up, and see what was wrong with Isaiah. (of course, having "been there done that" with him, my first initial thought was - his peanut allergy -- he's gotten in to some peanuts or peanut butter. But, of course, my sis in law knows all about his allergy, and told me everything he had to eat that day. He seemed pretty safe, as to have not consumed anything with peanuts.)
So when we got there, we checked him out. He was coughing a lot, and wheezing when he was breathing. But it threw us off, because he was also playing around, and not just lying arond on the couch. So Jer and I made the decision, that because he was wheezing, and we weren't 100% sure what was wrong, and it had a lot of the same signs as his peanut allergy-reaction, that we decided to go ahead and give him a shot of his Epi-Pen. Which, of course, meant an automatic trip to Childrens Mercy hospital urgent care.
When we got there, they checked his oxygen levels. They were pretty low, but not dangerously low. So they took us back to a room, and gave him some steroids and a breathing treatment, to bring his oxygen levels back up. He seemed to be doing better after the breathing treatment, so they just kept us for a couple hours to keep an eye on him, then released us at 10 PM.
The doctor told us that we did the right thing though. If ever in doubt.......Epi-Pen first.....ask questions later.
So I will be calling Isaiah's allergist tomorrow, to try to make an appt. I'm still unsure of what exactly happened. I don't think he got in to any peanuts or peanut butter. His peanut reaction is a LOT more severe than this. So I'm not sure if it's another allergy, or if this was asthma related or what. I'm hoping to find this out soon. Isaiah has seen the inside of Childrens Mercy urgent care too many times in his short life!!
Off and on this weekend, he has still been slightly wheezing or, as Jeremy calls it, "whistling" when he breathes. So we have continued his breathing treatments here at home. Please say a prayer for my baby if you think about it. :)
The rest of the weekend was pretty uneventful. Went to a wedding on Saturday, some friends from church. Oh! And Saturday night, I made Jeremy (well, not made him, but you know what I mean..... :) ) take me to the christian bookstore, to pick up Karen Kingsbury's latest book. I'm so excited! I just LOVE her books. So now I'm allready halfway through her book, "This Side Heaven". Sooooooo good so far!
On that note.........I'm off to go read some more. The kids are in bed.....Jer is gone helping some friends put in hardwood floors........and I have a book waiting for me. :)
1 comment:
Is that her latest? I didn't know, I got it wednesday, and by friday had read it and resold it... It is good. Dern thing had me crying halfway thru it... SOBBING but she always does...
Post a Comment